In 2011 Google released a more simplified version of Google AdWords, called AdWords Express. The message was clear, “The easiest way to advertise on Google” Just set up your account and Google will manage where and when your ads are seen.
It is a product specifically aimed at people who either don’t have the time, or the knowledge to run campaigns on Google. Whilst first impressions can be positive, there are a number of negatives by leaving everything to the people who essentially, get paid more if your ads are shown/get clicked more.
To gain a full perspective, however, it’s important to look at both the pros and the cons of Google AdWords Express.
AdWords Express – The Good
- Speed – Your ads can start showing fast.
- Time – After a few simple setup questions, Google handles the rest of your keywords, targeting and bidding.
- Knowledge – No need to spend time learning how to use the platform, as Google does everything for you.
AdWords Express – The Bad
- Relevancy – You don’t have control what searches will trigger your ads.
- Detail – As with most things in life, the devil is in the detail. With far fewer options than traditional Google Ads, you cannot tailor ads, extensions, bids, targeting, exclusions etc.
AdWords Express – The Ugly
- Display – Google will decide where your display ads will show, you do not have the ability to exclude websites or mobile apps you find do not work.
- Text – Display ads will be in the form of text. Text display ads have a very low success rate.
- Cost – Whilst you can set a monthly budget, you have no control over bids for any of your search or display ads meaning you could be getting far fewer ad impressions.
Is AdWords Express a good fit for me?
If you are a sole trader who doesn’t have the time to learn how to use the full version of Google Ads, or you do not have the budget to warrant hiring an expert or an agency, then AdWords Express can be a good way to get your business higher up in the search results.
You may find, however, that paying an agency to help set up your Google Ads account and campaigns and then provide periodic audits/health checks on those campaigns could get you a higher return on your investment.
Here at Optimyzd, we hold regular events and give away a lot of free resources on the website that can help business owners take their first steps into effective digital marketing. So, bookmark the site and follow us on your preferred social media platforms and let us help your business get Optimyzd!
Want to get more leads/customers without increasing your ad spend?
By targeting campaigns better, by testing ads, by testing landing pages and by continually optimising every aspect of the campaigns we run, you can get a better return on your ad spend.